Sunday, March 13, 2016

S is for Sunflowers - Blogging through the Alphabet



Yesterday while repotting some plants, and planting some cilantro and rosemary seeds with my husband, I started thinking of my grandparents. When I was a little girl I spent the majority of the time at their house. My mom was a single mother who had to work, so it was just a given that I would be with my grandparents. Oh the memories I have there.

My grandparents were the type of people who never sat down. They were always doing something, but one of their biggest loves, besides us, was gardening. I can remember looking out at their garden as a child and it just seemed to go on and on forever. They would grow strawberries, potatoes, okra, cucumbers as long as your arm, carrots, grapes, watermelons, cantaloupe, and even peanuts! That doesn't even scratch the surface. If it grows in dirt, my grandparents had it in their garden.

One of my favorite memories, was the Sunflowers that she grew. I can remember taking seeds and planting them, and when a sunflower popped up, I was amazed! They were taller than ME, and I couldn't even reach the top of the flower! They would line the front of her garden so majestically. I would sit on her back steps waiting anxiously while she would take the flower off, and I would eat the seeds right out of it! I loved the feeling of eating something straight from the ground it grew. They were so good at what they did, and I really regret not learning their secrets to gardening. I always said, "When I start my garden, I'm going to go get soil from theirs because it has to be the best soil in Texas!" Sadly, I never got to do that.

My grandparents passed away, the house has now been sold, and I never learned how to grow strawberries, potatoes, watermelons, or sunflowers. That in itself can be sad, but I choose to remember the happy memories of my childhood in their garden. I spent most of my summers out in that lovely backyard garden with all of the wonderful things that they grew and put so much love into. The memories of sitting under the fig tree, swinging on my swing set, and the sunflowers will never be forgotten.

I didn't have any pictures of their sunflowers, but this is a picture of their house. I miss it so much.




For more Blogging through the Alphabet posts click the pic below!
Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=

2 comments:

  1. Sunflowers have always been one of my favorite flowers as a reminder to turn my face toward the SON, thanks for sharing your sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete